If you look closely at the window of your room, you will notice there are joints in between the rods. Those are works done by a welding machine and a professional welder. Welding is a process to join two or more parts through heat or pressure.
The welding process is mainly used on metal or thermoplastic items, sometimes on wood. Among the various types of welding machines, a mig welder is best known for its multi-purpose use. As a beginner, you can read this article as a helping guide and know how to choose a mig welder.
Types of Welder:
There are various types of welding machines that you can use for your needs. Besides the mig welding machines, we will let you know about other welders also. In the end, you will be able to make the right decision.
- Mig (Metal Inert Gas) – It is a continuous process where a solid wire fed electrode through a welding gun to join two base materials. This process also protects the environment from pollution.
- TIG ( Tungsten Inert Gas) – This method is quite a tough one, needed two hands to finish the process. It is a versatile process that welds not only metals but also aluminum, copper, nickel, cobalt, titanium, etc.
- STICK – It is another name for manual arc welding. You can use a stick electrode welding rod to continue the process manually.
- Flux Core – Flux core arc welding process need to use a fed consumable tubular electrode that contains the constant voltage. For its high welding speed, this welder use on the construction site.
- PAW (Plasma Arc Welding) – This welding is similar to mig welding. The core difference between PAW and MIG is, PAW has a torch that separated from the shielding gas envelope, also has a copper nozzle inside the machine.
Difference Between Flux Core Welding And Mig Welding:
The core purpose of a welding machine is to join the objects by melting the materials. As you know there are several types of welder machines, beginners often get confused between the Flux core and the mig welder. To remove your confusion, we have discussed the major differences between Flux Core and mig welding machines.
- Mig Welding:
Mig welder uses a consumable solid wire fed electrode to create an arc between the metal and electrode. It has an external container that supplies the heat and shielding gas. Mig used for welding both ferrous and non- ferrous metal. The rust made from mig is much easier to clean. It is easier to learn the process rather than the flux core welders.
You can use it only in a clean area, and can not use it in the rust, or paint area. Due to the external gas tank, this welder is not portable, and you can not use it outside the house. Additional equipment for this welder causes an extra cost to the user. This welder machine required more power to weld. This machine is used in the automotive industry and the production of the pressure vessel.
- Flux Core Welding:
The flux core needed a consumable tubular wire electrode with constant voltage to weld. You can weld thicker metals with less amperage by using a Flux core welder. Because of its costly wire, the machine is an expensive one compared to mig welder. You can do the welding work outside in windy conditions as it is a portable one. Dirty or rusty metals have a restriction while welding any objects. The vertical and overhead position is more suitable for this welder machine.
The flux core can weld only the ferrous metal. It produces some high-level noxious fumes, for that it needs a ventilation system on the machine. The machine creates some slag during welding that needs to be removed immediately after work. The Flux Core welding machine used in shipbuilding, manufacturing, and underwater welding.
The mig holds the best multi-process welders position in the welding area. The Flux Core welding machine is also used for several purposes. You can use both of them for your needs.
NOTE- It is difficult to choose between the mig and Flux core welders. Both welders do the same work and you can know more about them from here.
How To Choose A Mig Welder?
If you are entirely new to buying a mig welding machine, then you may consider some features before purchasing. The following points will help you on how to choose a mig welder. For welders with different budget range, you can check our best mig welder under 1000 review or best mig welder under 500 review.
- Thermal Overload Protection:
An Overheat will shut your function of the machine, and restart it after cools down. To avoid this overheating problem, you can use the thermal overload protection system. You can check this system when you go for buying the machine.
- Duty Cycle:
The duty cycle measures the time of work of the machine before going to the rest. If the duty cycle is 70%, it means you can work on the machine, around seven minutes, before the machine goes on the rest period. Duty Cycle can provide you 10-minute work before going to rest.
- The Size and Metal Thickness of Wire Weld:
The machine cable and welded wire must be the same. If you want to weld copper, then you will need a copper cable. Also, the thicker cable needs a longer size of cable while welding.
If the machine is not portable, then you may feel uncomfortable working efficiently. Some of the welder machines are handheld. So, choose your machine to depend on your needs. Again, if you are buying it for your personal use, then it should be portable and lightweight. But if the machine is for office purposes, then you can choose the big one.
- Input Power:
Generally, the mig welder runs on 220V or 110 v. But if you need a high voltage machine for heavy tasks, you can buy it by checking voltage power. The lower voltage machine you can use around the house or little work. For thicker sheets, you can choose the high voltage machine. You can also pick up the multi-voltage system machine and adjust the power of your needs.
Safety Tips of Mig Welder:
While using the mig welding machine, you need to be careful of weld the objects. As this machine is run by power, sometimes accidents may occur.
- Beware from the welding arc, as the light can damage the skin and can create fire.
- Wear a mask during welding, as the fumes can attack your lungs.
- Wear proper shoes and gloves to protect from the heat.
- A helmet can protect you from the welding light.
- Learn from an expert before using the mig welder.
Note – For more information on safely operating a mig welding machine, you can go here.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What is the best mig welder for the beginner?
As a beginner, you can use Weldpro 200 Amp Inverter multi-purpose welder. This is very affordable and easy to run, and can also use for multi-purposes.
- Is Stick Welder Stronger than mig?
Yes, the stick welder is stronger than a mig welder. Because the stick welder machine has a better penetration system than a mig welder machine.
- What is the difference between MIG and TIG welding?
A core difference between MIG & TIG welder is, mig uses a constant feeding wire, where TIG uses long welding rods by feeding the wire slowly.
A mig welding machine is used for multi-purpose welding works. Among all the other welding machines, we prefer the mig welder machine because of its versatility and ease of use. If you have read this article and not skipped any part, you will be able to make the right decision on how to choose a mig welder.