If you are tired of receiving poor quality welding results or unstable joints after welding with your existing welder, then we have solutions for you. We have made a list of premium quality welders that will not shell out a high amount of your money. From our list of the best mig welder under 500, you will be able to find out your desired model that you are looking for a long time.
The best part of these welders is that you will get a smooth and durable finishing of your welding tasks in a faster time. It’s something like you will become able to satisfy most of your welding needs in just a matter of a few minutes. No matter if you are looking for a welder for the first time or want to replace your old one, we have got you covered. So let’s start our review here to choose the right welder for you.
Benefits of MIG welding:
You are searching for the best quality MIG welders means you are already well aware of the benefits of MIG welding. However, if you want to know more about what benefit a MIG welder can offer you, then this section is for you. So before diving into the main review of different MIG welders, let’s know what the benefits of MIG welding are. So let’s get started now:
- MIG welding gives you powerful welding with optimal quality and finishing.
- You can use a MIG welder for versatile welding purposes such as welding stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, nickel, and other materials.
- This type of welding increases productivity.
- MIG welding is one of the easiest welding methods that you can have to complete your tasks faster with a better ending result.
- This type of welding uses flux and doesn’t require gas, so there is less chance for the slag entrapment.
- MIG welding is a clean welding method, and it leaves less residue.
- You will have incredibly little loss of alloying elements because of the gas shield.
Note: In the above section, we have briefly explained the benefits of MIG welding so you can get ideas of that. However, if you want to learn about the difference between flux core welding vs mig welding, we would recommend you reading this article here.
Top 5 Best Mig Welder Under 500 Reviews
We have included different MIG welder brands and models with a view to providing you several options. So you can easily match your requirements and choose the one that fits you most. So let’s start reading everything of all the models to know what features and benefits each model offers.
If you want three types of welding benefits such as stick welding, MIG welding, and DC TIG welding in a single welder, then Forney Easy Weld Multi-Process Welder is for you. With the three positions switch, you can easily switch among any of the welding types or processes in just a few moments.
The model includes an indefinite voltage and wire feed speed control system that lets you dial in the right weld you need. The rated output voltage of the welder ranges from 12 – 23V, rated output current ranges from 43A – 110A, and the total output current ranges from 10A – 140A. That means you get the desired power.
The construction quality of the welder is highly durable with the metal case. So you can use the unit day after day without any hesitation. The size of the welder is adequately large enough to deal with two and ten pounds rolls of wire easily. Moreover, you will get all the required parts in it to finish your tasks smoothly.
Forney Easy Weld Main Features:
- The assembly of the welder is fully metal drive, so you get the assurance of longevity.
- It includes contact tip, adapter, MIG gun, electrode holder, ground clamp, and a lot more.
- The assembly or setup of the unit is very easy, so you don’t need any special skills.
- Using the welder is so simple that anyone can use it without any difficulty.
- It’s a multi process welder so you can have versatile benefits.
LOTOS MIG140 140 Amp MIG Wire Welder is for those who often need to go through long time welding and, at the same time, want much more convenience in the tasks. This premium quality welder runs on 140A output and delivers detailed finishing quickly to the end results of your welding tasks.
LOTOS Welder is a versatile welder that you can use for multi-purposes such as stainless steel, mild steel, and aluminum. The welding capacity of the welder is 18 Gauge – 3/16″ is for stainless steel and mild steel, and 1/8″ or thinner for aluminum. This feature has made this unit to be considered as the best multi process welder.
The unit comes with a high-quality aluminum wire feeder that is much more reliable, stable, durable and provides better user experience. By adjusting the wire feeder speed and welding voltage, you can easily get more precise welding results. Moreover, you will be able to see everything in two digital displays.
LOTOS MIG140 Main Features:
- The unit comes with a 2T Manual switch and 4T Semi-auto switch that releases your finger for a longer time.
- The ground cable quick connector of the welder helps you connect the unit quickly and conveniently.
- It includes gas hose, ground clamp cable, MIG torch, argon regulator, welding mask, welding wire, and a lot more.
- The precision and full adjustment drive mechanism and digital wire speed display make your tasks smoother.
- The setup of this welder is very easy, and you can do it in just 10 minutes.
If you look for a perfect entry-level welder, then we would like to recommend you Forney Easy Weld 261, 140 FC-i MIG Welder. This model is a suitable perfect for people with no or less welding experience. Using this unit, you can do your small to medium home welding, auto body, and some other normal construction weldings.
This unit is superbly portable as it is lightweight and compact yet powerful in performance. Delivering up to 140A output, it can allow you to weld mild steel, aluminum, metal fabrication, and other home materials so perfectly that a lot of users consider it as the best home MIG welder.
This premium quality welder uses flux core wire for welding works. The unit includes infinite voltage to make your experience better. The wire feed speed control system allows you to dial in the perfect weld quickly and conveniently. Along with all these, all-metal case body construction offers higher durability.
Forney Easy Weld 261 Main Features:
- The welder can weld 24-gauge up to 1/4″ for stainless steel so perfectly that you get superior finishing.
- The setup and installation process of the welder is very easy for anyone.
- It’s a very easy-to-use welder, so everyone with even zero welding knowledge can also use it conveniently.
- The unit includes contact tips, welding nozzles, nozzle gel, diffuser, anti-spatter spray, torch wrap, and a lot more.
- 8′ MIG gun and 8′ ground clamp of the welder helps you complete your job effortlessly.
SUNGOLDPOWER MIG 150A Welder comes with adjustable power settings that make your tasks smoother and convenient. This welder is ideal for three types of welding jobs, such as mild steel welding, iron welding, and metal welding. The thermal protection makes all your welding tasks safe.
The durability of the welder is superbly higher because the unit is constructed with stainless steel that ensures uninterrupted usages for year after year. The voltage capacity of this welder is 110V/60HZ single phase, and the current output range is 80-150AMP. So you will get powerful welding experience.
The speed control system of the wire feed of the welder is incredibly helpful to control your tasks and get a better welding experience. Your welding experience will further reach high with the help of the four adjustable heating options and the on/off safety control system.
SUNGOLDPOWER MIG 150A Welder Main Features:
- The unit is a perfect model for providing no gas or flux welding.
- The model comes with ten feed speed control and four current flow settings to offer a better experience.
- It includes a lot of things such as welding masks, welding wire, torch wrap, and a lot more.
- The welder is very easy and simple to operate and manage.
- Setting up and installation process is so easy that you can do it within a few minutes.
We have included DEKOPRO MIG Welder in our list for those who are looking for a high-quality welder with an incredibly less price. This welder is the cheapest model in our list, but it has all the qualities to compete with a costly welder. This unit is powerful like some high-end welders, as it can also deliver 140A output.
This welder comes with an adjustable wire feed speed control system and welding current that allow you to adjust everything to suit your application. It will also let you weld different things with different thicknesses. Moreover, all your welding tasks will be safe with the safety protection feature.
The construction of the welder is made of highly durable and top-class PVC material. So you can use a single unit year after year. The comfortable grip of the unit will give you a smooth operation facility. The end result of this welder is superbly perfect with high precision.
DEKOPRO Mig Welder Main Features:
- The welder is very user-friendly with all the easy-to-access and advanced options.
- It includes an easy carrying handle, electrode holder, cable, brush, and some other necessary accessories.
- The multi-uses option will allow you to use it for stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and other materials.
- You can set this welder up within just a few minutes without any skills.
- The model is lightweight, compact, and it’s very convenient to carry.
How to choose a Mig welder Machine?
Before going to choose a MIG welder, you have to consider some important factors to come up with the best selection. Though we have considered every aspect while making our list of the best Mig welder under 500, we are going to mention those considerations. As a result, it will help you to choose the best one easily. So let’s get started to know what to consider before choosing a MIG welder.
- Voltage and Current:
More voltage and current are associated with more heat and power of a welder. If a welder has more output power, then it can weld thicker metal. You should pick the one that has voltage and current capacity of 110/220 V and 140A current, respectively.
- Types of welding jobs:
You should choose the one that can perform versatile welding tasks. The most common welding tasks are stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, and some other materials. So you need to consider that your welder can complete these welding jobs.
- Duty Cycle:
The duty cycle of a MIG welder is an important consideration before choosing one. The higher the duty cycle of your welder, the better it would be for you. You should choose the one that has at least 30% of the duty cycle. That means it can weld your metal for 2 minutes continuously over a 10 minutes welding period.
- Weight, Size, and Portability:
You should choose such a welder that is light in weight, convenient in size, and portable to carry. All these considerations are essential to do your jobs conveniently, both indoor or outdoor.
- Additional accessories and protection system:
The more necessary accessories a welder offers, the better the performance and convenience you will get from it. Along with that, you should also focus on the thermal protection system of the model. It will save you from overheating.
Note: In the above part, we have focused on some of the main considerations only with a brief explanation to choose a MIG welder. But if you want to know more about how to choose a mig welder in detail, we would recommend you go through the article here.
How to Avoid MIG Welder Common Problems?
Over time, the welding methods and ways have been simplified with the use of a variety of advanced techniques. Some common problems of MIG welding have also been developed with that. But if you become a little careful, you can avoid most of these problems easily. So let’s take a look at the techniques below to avoid MIG welding problems:
- Overcome porosity:
Porosity is the result of long term accumulation of oil, rust, grease, etc. on the base metal or the surface of the welder. Because of this problem, you don’t get the proper welding finish with the right strength. To get rid of this porosity, you can use deoxidizer to clean all these oil or rust. You should also keep your welder clean, so it will not get this type of problem.
- Get rid of spatter:
The most common and unwanted side effect of the welder is called spatter. This happens when your welder delivers too high current, incorrect polarity, or inadequate gas shielding. You can get rid of this problem by adjusting the welding current, checking the correct usage of polarity, and gas shielding.
- Overcome deformation:
Deformation happens when the welding sequence is not suitable. It may also happen if there are too many thin beads or have insufficient clamping before welding, etc. To get rid of this problem, you should weld from both sides of the joint by using a large electrode and clamping. You should also change the sequence of weldings or joint locations, or pass fewer welds.
- Overcome incomplete penetration and fusion:
To avoid these types of problems, you should use a wider root gap and such electrodes with proper width according to the gap width of the root. This technique is quite helpful in overcoming the problem.
- Get rid of incorrect wire delivery:
If you want to overcome the problem easily, you have to ensure the proper functioning of the contact tip of the gun and the right sizing of the wire. You should also check the wire tip and change it if there is any worn out part.
This is one of the most common problems of a welder machine. If the voltage of your welder is too high or the size of the arc is too long then undercut occurs. It also happens if there is any incorrect electrode. In this case, you should use the right-sized electrode and check the weave also.
Note: In the above section, we have highlighted only some of the common problems that you can avoid easily by following the mentioned techniques. However, if you want to know more details about how to use a mig welder, you can read the article here.
Frequently Asked Questions:
What metals can I weld with MIG welder?
Using a MIG welder, you can weld stainless steel, mild steel, aluminum, magnesium, nickel, and a lot more.
Is MIG welding and delivers better results?
With MIG welding, you will get better finishing in a faster time. This type of welding is very easy and comparatively durable.
Does MIG welding increase productivity?
Yes, MIG welding increases the productivity of your welding tasks to a great extent.
Making a list of the best mig welder under 500 is quite a difficult task as it requires a lot of research and cross-matches with different models. The best welding units come with easy to operate & set up options, strong build quality, powerful welding performance, convenient storage & portability, necessary accessories, and many more valuable features. All the models on our list have all these features and benefits. So you can easily choose any of the models.
However, we would recommend LOTOS MIG140 140 Amp MIG Wire Welder for you. This model can offer you a more precise welding experience with a powerful 140A output. You will get such an outstanding finishing that most of the welders fail to offer. With a lot of additional accessories, manual and semi-auto switch, digital displays, versatile uses, this welder will be one of your best picks.